The Town of Yemassee Municipal Election will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021. Voters may cast their ballot for two Town Council seats and the Office of Mayor. The Town Council seats are currently held by Council Member Charlie Simmons and Council Member Michelle Hagan, while the Office of Mayor is currently held by Colin Moore.
Candidates wishing to file for the Offices of Mayor or Town Council and appear on the ballot in the November 2 Town of Yemassee Municipal Election must do the following:
- Must be a South Carolina Registered voter who resides in the Town of Yemassee
- Go online to the SC Election Commission Website to obtain and complete a Statement of Intention of Candidacy – Non-Partisan Form. The form can be accessed at: https://tinyurl.com/YemasseeElection
- Pay the required filing fee (i.e., $150 for Town Council, $300 for Mayor) by visiting the Municipal Complex and meeting with Town Clerk Matthew Garnes. Filing fees may be paid with Cash (exact change), or Check.
- Candidates are also reminded that they are required to complete forms required by the South Carolina Ethics Commission online at https://ethics.sc.gov/campaigns.
- Candidate filing period opens at Noon, Friday, August 20, 2021, and closes at Noon, Friday, September 3, 2021. No late filings will be accepted after noon, Friday, September 3, 2021.
- Recommended filing procedure: Make an appointment with the Town Clerk, Matthew Garnes, and the candidate and Town Clerk will fill out and file all necessary paperwork during this appointment. Please bring a government identification card, voter registration card, and filing payment to the appointment. Mr. Garnes can be reached via (email) email@example.com or (Office) 843.589-2565 Ext. 3 Monday-Friday from 8AM-5PM
The Town of Yemassee operates under a Council form of government, with a mayor and four additional council members, all of whom are elected at-large. Council members are compensated $4,800 annually for their service. The mayor is compensated $6,000 annually. Council member terms are staggered every two years. Each term is 4 years in length.
In accordance with the Town of Yemassee Town Code, and the South Carolina Code of Laws, election results are determined under the nonpartisan election and runoff election method. If needed, a runoff election will be held Tuesday, November 16. A runoff election is required in the event of a tie. The winner is the recipient of the highest number of votes.
For more information about filing for candidacy, please contact Town Clerk Matthew Garnes at 843.589.2565 or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Voter Registration Information:
Voters must be registered to participate in this election. Any person wishing to register to vote for this election must do so by the following deadlines:
To contact the Beaufort County Board of Voter Registration and Elections, you may call them at (843) 255-6900 or visit them at their Beaufort office at 15 John Galt Rd, Beaufort, SC 29906. If you are new to the Town of Yemassee and wish to register in Beaufort County and will submit your voter registration by mail, it must be postmarked by October 4th. The deadline to register in person is 5:00 PM, Friday October 1, 2021. The last day to register by online, fax or email is 11:59 PM, Sunday, October 3, 2021.
To contact the Hampton County Board of Voter Registration and Elections, you may call them at (803) 914-2080 or visit their office at 201 Jackson Ave West, Hampton, SC 29924. If you are new to the Town of Yemassee and wish to register in Hampton County and will submit your voter registration by mail, it must be postmarked by October 4th. The deadline to register in person is 5:00 PM, Friday October 1, 2021. The last day to register by online, fax or email is 11:59 PM, Sunday October 3, 2021.
Deadline to apply for an absentee by mail ballot: October 29th, 5:00 PM
Deadline to vote-in person at office: November 1st, 5:00 PM